Sunday, April 17, 2011

The Tao of Pooh

After reading the Tao of Pooh, I had a much better understanding of Taoism prior to the class lecture since I finished the book a few days beforehand. The principles of Taoism through Winnie-the-Pooh made the book a pretty easy read and relatable to real-life situations. For example, in order to explain that the “Three Teachings” of China reflects the Essence of Life, Hoff talks about the three masters Kung fu-Tse/Confucius, Buddha and Lao-tse on page two. He mentions them as The Vinegar Tasters, saying that from the Taoist point of view, sourness and bitterness come from the interfering and unappreciative mind.; life itself, when understood and utilized for what it is, is sweet (page 6).


In reaction to America being a Busy Backson culture, I believe that this is true and will be even truer in future years with more Busy Backsons. We live in a society where people are constantly in a hurry to do whatever they need to do. According to the Tao of Pooh, a Busy Backson is a person who is always on the run (page 96). He/she has no time and is too busy wasting time by trying to save it. A Busy Backson can’t save time; they can only spend it, and they can spend it either wisely or foolishly. For a Taoist, you don’t want to be a Busy Backson. I agree with this statement because I’d rather enjoy my surroundings and appreciate being alive. I’m more into living a laid-back, relaxing lifestyle than always being rushed. More people need to slow down and appreciate life to the fullest.


As far as Taoism being a solution to the problem of American culture and Americans as individuals, I think the idea isn’t bad, but probably not plausible. When Hoff explains in the chapter titled “Nowhere and Nothing,” he says that in the process of enlightenment in Taoism and the Tao Te Ching, being an adult isn’t the highest stage of development. The end of the cycle is the independent, clear-minded, all-seeing child, which leads to the person having the most wisdom (page 151). I feel like some Americans would squabble over this statement because in our society, you reach your full maturity when you’re an adult. However, in a Taoist’s mind, being filled with light and happiness = a child, and that’s when you reach your full potential. It would be a calmer place in America if Americans had the same mindset of the Taoists.

3 comments:

  1. I agree to what you said , that you should enjoy your surroundings and appreciate being alive.I think sometimes you can get so wrapped up in what your supposed to be doing and what you think needs to be done, you take for granted the gift of life, which allows you to be your busy self. I would have to say I am the person who is stressing on what needs to be done.I work on everything as if the deadline is tomorrow. I am 100% a bisy backson. I stress myself out about deadlines. I am always concerned with time and like quoted in the book I am the person staring at their watch and jingling my keys.I think that technology has aided to the bisy backson lifestyle for Americans. Before reading this book I never saw anything wrong with it,I thought that is just kind of how things work. I felt like if I was not busy then I was not being productive.I agree that people should slow down and live life to the fullest and I am one of those people who needs to change. I also agree to you when you stated that Taoism is a great idea for a solution for bisy backsons but is not plausible. I think it would be hard for Americans to wrap their mind around certain concepts in Taoism as well. Even though some Americans probably would not be able to understand the enlightenment concepts “Nowhere and Nothing" chapter. I think it's a great concept you should not be able to be considered an adult until you have the mind of an adult. I can personally say I have a totally different mindset from when I was 18 "an adult" by law versus me now at the age of 21. I think if may be some of the more plausible concepts were integrated in American culture it would help a lot of people.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree that Taoism as a solution to American culture is probably not plausible. I think that in a lot of cases, Americans are unable to just slow down and go with the natural order of things. Even if it is assumed to work out on its own. People who have to work to pay rent, bills, supporting a family, are unable to just cut their responsibilities in half just to minimize the extreme amount of rush/stress they go through. I do think that we could try as much as we can to go with the flow, become an uncarved block, but we would need to change our mindset. That is something that I think most people in America are just not willing to do.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree - The description of America as a culture of Busy Backsons is alarmingly accurate. I was really able to make a connection between real life and stories described in the book. We as Americans need to realize how out of touch with the natural order of things we are and move away from this culture of having to do something all of the time.

    ReplyDelete