Sunday, March 6, 2011

Buddhism Stereotype: hippies, not having fun and no sports in their lives





The first image I found is of a hippie meditating. A stereotype I discovered was that all Buddhists are hippies. It’s funny to read into this stereotype because I’m Buddhist and I certainly don’t look like/want to look like this. In Brad Warner’s book, Zen Wrapped in Karma Dipped in Chocolate, he talks about Buddhism and if it existed in the west (Chapter 5). “When I started studying Zen in Ohio nobody wanted to know. Zen was hippie stuff. This was the eighties!” (25) Many Theravada Buddhists are conservative and have completely different views of what a hippie may have. I know for a fact that I don’t practice most of the beliefs that hippies support.


The image I found below contradicts what some people may think of when they think of Buddhists. A few folks out there may assume that Buddhists are all dreadfully serious people, don’t wear makeup and never have fun. Sadly, I fit the total opposite of all of this. I like to wear makeup and feel good about myself, I’m a big goof, and I enjoy socializing with my friends every weekend. Buddhists practice having a balanced state of mind in order to not react to situations especially with anger or without thought. Buddhists definitely know how to have a good time; the Dalai Lama is even known for having a sense of humor and frequently cracks jokes, laughs and smiles. My dad is even a friend of a Buddhist monk who is the head of the temple I go to, and he is also known for being a humorous man.


Another stereotype is that Buddhists are not allowed to desire anything. Therefore, they cannot play sports or achieve anything either. The Buddhist monk below is staying active by riding a bike! Tiger Woods is a champion golfer. Jackie Chan is a successful actor and martial artist. Steve Jobs (who I had no clue was a Buddhist) is the CEO of Apple. I’m a Buddhist and I like to work out and stay active outside. Buddhists play sports and some do it very well; they also achieve positive desires throughout their lives. In Chapter 2 of Warner’s book, it stated “most Western Buddhist teachers, need to have “real jobs” in the secular world. But there’s a myth going around Buddhist circles in the West that the only jobs that qualify as what Buddha called “right livelihood” are as therapist or yoga teacher “(12). The Buddhists I talked about above obviously do not have these jobs and I’m sure not all Buddhist teachers are therapists or yoga teachers. Brad Warner sure isn’t.


I wonder why there are so many stereotypes of Buddhism out there. It was a real eye-opener to read about all these stereotypes coming from my (a Theravada Buddhist) point of view.







Images from:
http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/1421574938072999789asWNRx
http://www.blacktomato.co.uk/46531/bhutan%E2%80%99s-very-own-blockbuster/



5 comments:

  1. Before I read this book I didn't have any real preconceived notions of what a modern Buddhist looked like or act like. Of course I knew about the famous Buddhist like the Dali Lama and what Buddha look like, I never thought pass what I learned in class. So it was very interesting to me to read about some of the stereotypes given to Buddhist, and then to read about how they really were.Before reading Warner's book I hadn't heard the stereotype all Buddhist are hippies, after reading that it open my mind to really think about what a Buddhist looks like or may act like,I just compared it to my own religion to better understand it. I've been to different Christian churches each church gave praise to the lord in different ways. For example at my grandmothers church which is a small church, they have a small choir that they just recently acquired, and most of the service is dedicated to the preacher and his sermon and church service is only a hour long. But a my aunts church they have a huge choir and they sing for about half of the whole church service. So a stereotype could easily come from that that all Christains sing all service , but I've seen thats not true. As a Christian you have some many different type of people within the religion, and just because your a certain religion doesn't define your personality.
    I thought it was very interesting and neat of you to list the names of popular Buddhist, I was unaware that they were Buddhist and it really broadened my perception of what a Buddhist is suppose to look like and act like. You being a Buddhist and hearing what you thought of the stereotypes was cool. As I was reading your blog post it made me wonder, have you yourself ever been a victim of one of the Buddhist stereotypes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that this expanded my idea of a modern Buddhist should look like and act like, which is exactly what Brad Warner was trying to do with this book. Even after reading the book, I didn't really have an idea of what it should mean to be a modern Buddhist, and this was a really cool perspective on that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's cool that you can give a personal view on this topic. And it really is interesting that there are so many stereotypes about Buddhism, especially since so many other religions in the world don't even have stereotypes at all. What is it about Buddhism that leads people to stereotypes about it? I guess because like you said not all Buddhism are hard core about it which leads people to focus on the ones that are hard core about - but honestly that doesn't even make much sense. I guess people hear one thing and stick to it or expand on it in a judgmental way - something that is a real problem in our society.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like that you addressed many different stereotypes. Your examples shows that it is still possible to be a Buddhist and live a normal life contrary to beliefs. I really enjoyed your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Toulaphone,
    I love the picture of Buddhists having fun, it reminds me of my friend's calendar or Nun's having fun.
    I really enjoyed your perspective as a Therevada Buddhist. The idea of all Buddhists being hippies or being extremely stoic - totally fits the stereotype. Warner's perspective agrees. However, this is of course not always the case and apparently may just seem that way from an "outsiders" perspective.
    Great job Toulaphone!

    ReplyDelete